Jidnyasa is an attempt to establish a dialogue with the adolescent students on crucial issues relevant to their lives especially those which are frequently ignored in our present education system. The program started in 1996 by the conveners
Late Hemant Karkare, IPS, Mumbai police
Dr. Anand Nadkarni, Institute for psychological Health
Ms. Jyoti Mhapsekar, Stree Mukti Sanghatana
It is 18 hour module covering following topics
ADOLESCENT AGE – CHANGING ME
STRESS MANAGEMENT – COPING WITH STRESS
VALUE EDUCATION – GIVING MEANING TO LIFE
VOCATIONAL GUIDANCE – CHOOSING A DESTINY
RISK OF ADDICTION – HOW TO SAY NO
SEXUALITY EDUCATION – ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY & VALUES IN SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR
Objective of Jidnyasa
To transform lives of under-resourced children through communication & provision of information.
Jidnyasa is the path
- Towards awareness through dialogue
- Towards knowledge through information
- Towards rationality through thinking
- Towards constructive behaviour.
Jidnyasaa uses workshop mode is used instead of lecture mode. Activists who participated in this programme are termed as ‘Communicators’.
Role plays, songs, games are also extensively used for the effective communication. Our communicators gradually established excellent rapport with all the participating students. Around 5 lac students have so far inter-acted with us through JIDNYASA in 13 different Districts of Maharashtra. Students eagerly wait for the dialogue session with the communicators. Some of our communicators are in regular touch with adolescent students.
- Jidnyasa is the unique and innovative programme of Stree Mukti Sanghatana meant for adolescent population & it is being run mainly for the children of lower economic strata.
- The module is based on gender justice principle. Hence the syllabus is same for boys & girls.
- 600 speakers trained to conduct sessions on school pupils.
- JIDNYASA is available in book form.
- Braille edition of JIDNYASA has been prepared by National Association for the Blind, India. (NAB)
- We have reached 5,00,000+ students through this programme.
- Attitudinal survey of more than 25,000 students carried out, first time in India.
Reach of the programme in approx. 20 towns of 10 districts in Maharashtra
- Counseling centers in municipal schools since 2001.
- Posters & flashcards have been prepared on the issues viz. eve teasing, spirit behind the career choice, our rights as consumers & citizens, gender & language, poetry & modern values, Beauty & health etc.
- Puppet show & film on child sexual abuse.
- Skit on gender sensitization & suicidal tendency among students.
- Many other modules have been evolved through Jidnyasa such as pre marital preparation, diet guidance, parent-child communication, challenges in parenting etc.
- Training workshops for Principals & teachers of Municipal schools on – adolescent issues, counseling techniques, gender bias etc.