Since 1975 Stree Mukti Sanghatana (SMS) has directed its efforts towards the upliftment of women, chiefly by creating awareness in the society about women’s issues and the issues related to equality, peace and development. It is an autonomous voluntary organization. It is not affiliated to any political party or political group.
The activists hail from various walks of life, are of all ages(from 16 to 80 years), comprise students, working women and men, house wives and trained social workers, advocates, teachers, doctors, engineers and large number of illiterate women from different religions, castes and class.
Large scale awareness campaigns reaching hundreds and thousands of men and women in many states of India with the message of equality, peace & development. The most significant achievement of these campaigns SMS’s ability to mobilize a large number of volunteers and support from opinion makers and state machinery.
- Women’s cultural troupe in the renowned SHAHIRI tradition of Maharashtra. It is the only troupe of this nature functioning in Maharashtra continuously for last 35 years giving thousands of performances of its famous plays on women’s issues, thereby reaching to the majority of illiterate men & women of rural and urban Maharashtra as well as other parts of India. Many women’s organizations as well as other autonomous organizations seek help, guidance & educational material from SMS.
- Successful use and creative handling of alternate media to promote gender equality in all spheres of life (political, economic, social, cultural & psychological). Since 1979, SMS has produced 8 plays on various issues of women like Equality and Equal Opportunity, dowry, Life sketch of Social reformers, On women’s rights as workers, On sex selection, Child labour, Eco-friendly waste management, Two hundred years of world women’s movement!
- Smt. Sharada Sathe ,Secretary, SMS, was appointed as member of First Women’s Commission Of Maharashtra.
- National, Regional and International consultations on women’s issues including 4th World Women’s Conference in Beijing and also conferences on Environment, Climate Change, Theater, CGI etc.
- The Accreditation with ECOSOC (UNITED NATIONS) since June 1999.
- Ms. Jyoti Mhapsekar, President SMS served ss a member of Management committee the Women’s Playwrights International Incorporated and was convener of VIII International Conference of women playwrights held in Mumbai in 2009.
- Participation in all major campaigns related to laws regarding violence against women, especially dowry & dowry related violence, rape, sexual abuse at work place, unlawful eviction of women from matrimonial house.
- Active participation in General campaigns for secular values of the Indian constitution & special campaigns for rehabilitation & communal harmony after 1992 riots.
- To create conducive atmosphere to achieve gender equality through large scale campaigns
- To work for eradication of poverty and violence
- To work for creating instruments of change for women especially in field of law and law enforcement
G.B.B.S.D. 747/84F-10096 (Mumbai)
Donations given to SMS are exempted under 80 G of Income Tax Act